Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dayna, Jeremy & Mikaela Portrait Preview


My first family portrait session was today and I loved every minute of it.
In my previous post, I spoke about growth and how it's important to introduce new methods into your craft and today I did just that.
Dayna, Jeremy & Mikaela were total troopers considering it was almost -30 degrees outside!! We kept having to run inside to warm up but it seemed to be worth it considering the photos turned out fantastic.
I couldn't be more pleased with how my first portrait shoot went and I can't wait to do more in the New Year if anybody will book me, haha!

I learned a lot on this portrait session for future reference that I'd like to notate:

1. Make sure I find a spot where the sun isn't shining directly on one side of the face which happened in a lot of these photos. I don't think my clients would mind this time around considering it was my first session but in the future, I'd like to avoid that. Therefore, I need to look for areas where the light is shining onto the back of my clients or even directly in front for a bright effect. Just not on the side of their faces lol.

2. Take advantage of the viewfinder rather than the LCD screen!!! We were trying to get photos of Mikaela blowing the snow away from her hand but because with the LCD screen, it creates a delay, I couldn't manage to grab the picture. Later, I realized that when taking photos while peering through the viewfinder, it's a constant snap so there's no delay..therefore I could have gotten the snow effect. Ahh! This one also goes along with a lot of other moments too like when they were holding Mikaela's hands and having her jump up in the air.. a lot of my shots didn't work out because of the screen delay.

Like I said, I can't wait to continue doing portrait sessions. It's fun seeing the love within a family and getting to capture their precious moments through a lens.

Stay tuned because I'll be posting a select few favorites from this session once the client has seen the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment